Thursday 6 September 2007

Wednesday Fluidity I Day Three

















Wednesday started differently with no Remuda (I think they are trying to keep us on our toes!). So it was straight into class for Saddling.

The first thing we did was to get everyone's saddles from the tack rooms onto the Savvy Park logs and try them all out for our balance point, leg and pedaling
mobility. It was very interesting to sit in so many western style saddles - some were comfortable and some were rock hard! Some I could do all three of the tests, in others I struggled to do one!

We then discussed saddles, their design and how that best suits them to certain activities. For example, an english saddle is best used for dressage, jumping and racing; while a western saddle is good for trail riding and ranch work. We also discussed how to recognise an ill fitting saddle and to make positive changes to improve this. This involved 'shimming' spaces where the horse and saddle do not meet and raising the saddle's front end sufficiently to enable the full scapula movement. The result should be free moving scapula, the saddle's balance point centrally located on the horse and no 'dead space' under the saddle. It seems important to experiment with the shimming to find the best solution for a particular horse, but also to constantly monitor the situation and adapt as necessary.

Next was seat builder training, where we need to learn to sit on our balance point, have supple back, relaxed shoulders and legs in extreme positions - thank you Tracey for displaying the effect so well! This was great fun, but the anticipation of my turn caused my hands to get clammy!

Then before lunch was the Fear Makeover, where
a horse and rider combination discuss their fear and then we learn how to move towards resolving the pattern so that we take control. Cici and Magic, who have the pen next to me, were the demonstration combination, which surprised a lot of people as they have a great relationship, can do loads of cool stuff and always seem so confident. Looks can be deceiving!

Anyway, the technique for overcoming the fear was simply closing your eyes and visualising the journey towards the fear and at the first sign opening your eyes. Then when your adrenaline had subsided trying again and perhaps taking two more imaginary steps then opening your eyes. Obviously the pattern continues until you can visualise the activity without fear. This is not necessarily achieved in one session!

Another powerful fear overcoming tool is visualisation of the best possible outcome (of success) - it is always far easier to follow your mind down the worst possible outcome avenue. Take control of your thoughts!

Pat Parelli says (regarding his fear): I get butterflies, but I make them fly in formation!

Today's task was to do the pre-saddle tests, saddle (using shims if necessary), to complete the pre-mounting tests and then, if you were confident, to go for a mosey on your horse's back. Well, since Roget and I had not managed to complete the pre-saddle tests yet (due to high levels of exuberance and play!), I was not in high hopes of achieving the mounting and riding today, so I set realistic expectations that we would work on the pre-saddle tests.

I do not know what happened, but we breezed through the pre-saddle tests and I found myself unprepared for the saddling! So we took a trip to the tack room and saddled on up! We then breezed through the pre-mounting tests and I was left with the option of do I leave it there or do I get on? I chose to leave it on a high note and simply spent undemanding time with him, chilling out, with no pressure or stress - it was great. Wow! Something really seems to have clicked with our relationship. I am hoping to repeat this success tomorrow, give him a break over the Conference weekend (Fri - Sun) and then mount on Monday (all going well). Keep your fingers crossed for me!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That women in red "Beths picture" looks in pain. The log horse look really hard on the bum. Surly the log would affect the feel of the saddle on the botty. Mum

Anonymous said...

Looks like all play and no work. And three more weeks to go! First time I've posted to a blog. Might create one for myself. Will shoe Rozalia later. All the best. Aaron.